Phone Icon510-293-3530
21550 Foothill Blvd. Suite 201
Hayward, CA 94541

Tenant Frequently Asked Questions

Who pays for utilities?
Unless otherwise specifically noted in your rental contract, you are responsible for all utilities at your new home. You should contact the utility companies that serve your neighborhood to have service turned on in your name. You were given a list of these companies when you signed your lease. We will have the service turned off in our name shortly after you sign your lease. So if you do not contact the utility companies, you may suffer an interruption of service. 

Will I be charged for conditions that were present when I moved in?
When you first move in, do a complete inspection of the home. A move-in sheet was provided to you at the time you signed your lease. Fill it out completely, and return it to our office within 7 days. This sheet will be used at the time you move out, to make sure you are not charged for any conditions that were present at the time you moved in. (Be complete, but don't write a book!) If you do not return the move-in sheet within the 7 days, we will assume that the condition of the house was perfect, and any damages present at the time you move out will be considered your responsibility. It is to your advantage to fill out and turn in the move-in sheet on time.

General Rules & Regulations

Can I have a pet? Can I watch a friend's pet for a few days?
Pets are not allowed unless previously okayed by Aapex Property Management. This includes keeping a friend's pet at the property temporarily. If we discover a pet at your property, we will serve you with a 30-day notice to move.

How is garbage service handled at my unit?
All garbage, trash and recyclable materials must be placed in appropriate containers. (Aapex does not provide containers) All containers are to be discreetly stored. You are required to make arrangements to have garbage and trash picked up weekly. Any recycling materials must be stored in appropriate containers. A total of no more than two 50 gallon trash bags of recyclable material may be kept on the premises at any one time.

What activities are considered "disturbances"?
All tenants, residents, and guests are expected to conduct themselves in a way that will not offend or disturb neighbors or passersby. Any activity that causes bothersome noise, traffic, or disturbance of any kind is cause for termination of lease. This includes, but is not limited to, loud music, or vulgar or profane language. If music or other sound can be heard outside the perimeter of the premises leased, it is considered too loud.

What are the rules with regards to having over-night guests?
Any person or persons staying for more than 14 days in one year is considered a tenant unless written arrangements are made prior to the beginning of the stay. All guests, whether they are short term or long term guests, must comply with all of the rules and regulations. You are responsible for their actions and behavior. If they break the rules, the consequences are the same as if you broke the rules. Please make sure that your guests' actions do not result in the termination of your lease.

What happens if I bounce a check?
Paying by personal check is a privilege which may be revoked if abused. Checks are presented for payment ONCE ONLY. If your check is returned by your bank for any reason, we will not accept a personal check (from you or anyone else) for payment of your rent for six months. You must pay with money orders or cashier's checks. If this occurs a second time, all future rent payments must be made with certified funds. 

If your check is dishonored, you will be charged an NSF fee. If your rent is late because your check is returned, you will also be charged the standard late fee. If you do not immediately replace the check with certified funds, you may be served with a 3-day notice, and charged a notice fee. Please refer to your contract for specific information regarding these fees.

What if I'm late on my rent?
If the rent is not paid in full by the 5th of the month, we will prepare and serve a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit. No exceptions! This is the first step of an eviction. We will not call you about this. The notice will be delivered to you personally, or attached to your door and a copy mailed, as required by law. If we have not received payment within the three days, we will continue with the eviction proceedings. Once again, we will not contact you by telephone before proceeding with the next step. It is very expensive if you want us to stop the eviction once it has begun, as you will have to pay all legal fees and court costs (which total anywhere from $500 to 1000!), in addition to rent due and late fees, etc. If the eviction is completed, it will appear on your credit report and make it very difficult for you to rent in the future. You can avoid all of these problems by simply paying your rent on time every month!

When are rents due and how will payment be accepted?
All rents are due and payable in advance, on the first day of the month. Monthly bills will not be sent. Payment should be in the form of personal check, money order, or certified check, payable to Aapex Property Management. Please do not pay in cash. Write your address on your payment to assure proper credit. All accounting is done by address of the property. Please mail all rent payments to Fremont Bank Processing Center - P.O. Box 56296, Hayward, CA  94545-6296.  You must mail the payment.  You cannot drop off the payment at a Fremonk Bank. Payment must arrive in the Processing Center on the fifth day of the month. Mail your payment early. We are not responsible for delays in the mail. You may pay in person Monday-Friday, 9:00 to 5:00 at our office for an additional $30 processing fee per payment. For your after hours convenience, there is a drop slot in the door on the south side of the building (on the left side if you are facing the building), follow the walkway and you will find the mail slot under the stairs. Any payments placed in the drop slot after 5:00 p.m. will be credited on the next business day. We do not accept post-dated checks.

Where am I allowed to park?
All vehicles are to be parked in the garage, driveway, or on the street if allowed. You are not allowed to park on the lawn areas, sidewalks, or other areas that are not paved for parking. All vehicles must be registered, licensed and operable at all times. No repairs to vehicles are allowed on the premises at any time. No oil or fluid changes are allowed on the property. If your vehicle leaks you must place a protective covering or pan under the offending vehicle.

Will I ever be charged a late fee?
Your rent is due on the 1st of the month. If we receive your rent between the 2nd and the 5th of the month, we will not assess a late fee. If we have not received your full rent payment by 5:00 p.m. on the 5th day of the month, you will be charged a late fee, according to your rental agreement. If the 5th falls on a weekend or legal holiday, your rent will be late after 5:00 P.M. on the next business day. This means that the funds must be physically in our office, not just "in the mail." We are not responsible for postal delays. Late fees must be paid before the 5th of the next month after they are assessed. Non-payment of late fees is a breach of your lease.

Will I get new locks when I move in?
All locks are re-keyed with each new tenancy. Two keys are issued at the time of possession. Alterations or replacement of locks requires the prior written approval of Aapex Property Management. If you have misplaced your key and find yourself locked out of your home, you may purchase a replacement copy of your key during our regular business hours, or you may borrow a key and return it. If this occurs after business hours, there will be a $100.00 fee for us to open up the office and get you a key if we have a copy onhand.


How do I turn off the water main?
Locate the main water shut-off for your house. It is usually located in the front yard, near the house, on a pipe coming up from the ground and entering the house. There is usually also a water spigot on this pipe, for exterior watering. This will turn off all water coming into the house. Also, locate water shut-off valves for the water heater, which is usually located on a pipe leading to the top of the water heater. This will shut off water just to the water heater. Also, locate the water shut-off valves for each sink in the house (kitchen and bathrooms). There will be two valves for each sink, one for hot water and one for cold water. If your home has any gas appliances (heater, water heater, stove, dryer), you should locate the gas shut-off valves. The main shut-off valve is near the gas meter on the outside of the house. It can be shut off by turning the valve so that it is perpendicular to the pipe. (This normally requires a wrench.) Once this valve has been closed, it should only be reopened by PG&E or a qualified technician, who will then relight appliances. Each gas appliance has its own shut-off valve also. The valve is on a gas pipe that can be identified by the flex hose that leads to the appliance. Turn the valve perpendicular to the hose to close off the flow of gas. The gas should only be turned back on by a qualified technician.

How should I submit maintenance requests?
All requests for repairs MUST be submitted in writing. A maintenance request form was given to you with your copy of the lease, and additional forms may be obtained from our office. You will be contacted regarding your request in a timely manner. However, not all requests will be acted upon immediately, depending on the nature of the request. All dangerous conditions and habitability issues will be corrected as quickly as possible. If you have not heard from us within 5 days, please contact our office to check on the status of your request.

What could I be charged for if my plumbing backs up?
You are responsible for keeping all sinks and toilets open and free-flowing. Please do not allow anyone to throw anything into the plumbing system, or to use it for any purpose other than what it was designed for. You will be responsible for any damage or stoppage after five days of occupancy, unless it was caused by mechanical failure of the plumbing system or roots in the sewer lines.

What do I do if a circuit blows?
Locate the breaker box(es). Many houses have two breaker boxes, one inside a closet or in the garage, and the other one on the outside of the house. The interior breaker box contains breakers for individual rooms or areas of the house. The exterior breaker box contains the main circuit breaker for the house, and possibly other breakers for areas within the house. The main circuit breaker is generally located on the exterior of the house near the garage, on the side of the house where the wires from the utility poles come into the house.

What do I do in case of emergency?
A maintenance emergency is any of the following.
 - fire
- no heat
- no electricity to the house
- no water to the house
- no hot water
- no usable toilet in the house
- gushing water leak (not just a drip)
- unable to secure doors or windows 
In case of one of the above emergencies, call the regular office phone number, 24 hours a day. Follow the instructions for emergencies. 

What if my problem isn't an emergency, but it's very urgent?
Urgent maintenance situations, other than those listed above, cannot be repaired outside of office hours. Please do not call the emergency line except for the situations specifically listed above. If you have an urgent, non-emergency situation, you may call in your request for repair on the next business day, but please follow up with a written request also. Examples of urgent maintenance situations are: 
- Non-functioning appliance
- Roof leak
- No electricity in one room or area
- Backed up sink only (no other plumbing fixtures affected)
- No water to one area of the house 

What maintenance items am I responsible for?
You are expected to maintain the home and keep it in as good a condition as when you took possession. Repairs required due to normal wear and tear will be made by Aapex. You will be charged for repairs caused by misuse or neglect. 
All breakdowns, system failures and structural defects must be reported to Aapex. Aapex will make any necessary repairs within a reasonable time. You will not be reimbursed for any unauthorized repairs you make or cause to be made.
 Some examples of maintenance you are expected to do at your own expense are: 
- Replace light bulbs, damaged screens and windows
- Replace or repair cabinet latches, knobs and handles
- Relight gas furnace or water heater (call PG&E)
- Keep flower beds weeded
- Mow lawns as needed
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors
- Vacuum heaters or replace heater filters 
Some examples of maintenance that Aapex will do at no expense to you are: 
- Repair or replace heater
- Repair or replace garbage disposal
- Repair or replace water heater
- Repair leaks in the roof
- Repair or replace electrical fixtures
- Repair plumbing which fails from normal use 

What should I do before I call Aapex if I have an insect or rodent problem?
Minor insect problems should be treated with sprays (such as Raid). This would include ants, spiders, and roaches. Additionally, these insects are often attracted to a home because of an available "food" source. This occurs when crumbs, dirty dishes, or trash are allowed to accumulate. If the pest problem is persistent, and cannot be adequately controlled with sprays, call the office and we will arrange for an exterminator to treat your home. 

What should I do before I call Aapex if my garbage disposal stops working?
Garbage disposals are not for bones, greasy items, meat or large quantities of vegetable peelings, etc. If the motor buzzes, turn off the switch. Unjam the disposal by turning the blade backwards with a wooden spoon handle or a wrench, if available. Reset the circuit breaker on the bottom or side of the disposal (this is usually a small red or yellow button). If the unit turns easily by hand but not with power, call for service. Almost all disposal jams are caused by improper use. It's to your advantage to unjam it, rather than requesting maintenance service, which you will be required to pay for.

What should I do before I call Aapex if the power goes out?
If there is a lack of power in the house, you should check the breakers to see if they have been tripped. Circuit breakers move slightly when tripped. It may appear to be on, but it's not. To reset, turn the breaker to the "off" position, and then back to "on." The ground fault circuit breaker (GFI) is usually located in the bathrooms and kitchen. If you lose power to a plug near a water source (sink), it is usually the GFI circuit. Press the "R" button to reset it. 

Who is responsible for the smoke detectors in my home?
Locate the smoke detectors in your home. They are generally located on the ceiling or high on the walls, in the hallways leading to the bedrooms. Our maintenance staff checked them shortly before you moved in to make sure they were working. If a smoke detector is not operating properly, contact our office immediately! If the smoke detector begins making a chirping noise, it means that the battery is low. Replace the battery at once. Your rental contract specifies that replacing batteries is the tenant's responsibility. If the smoke detector goes off when there is no fire (i.e. from cooking) DO NOT remove the battery! Smoke detectors must have working batteries in them AT ALL TIMES!! This is for your own protection.

Locating these items now may limit danger and damage later. If you cannot locate any of these items in your home, please call our office for further instructions.

Will Aapex ever inspect the unit while I'm living there?
As part of our agreement with the property owner, Aapex will conduct routine surveys of the condition of both the interior and exterior of the property. You will be notified prior to any interior inspection. If there are any problems discovered, for which you are responsible, you will be notified. If any conditions are noted which are due to normal wear and tear, the repairs will be made at no cost to you. These repairs may be made at the time of the survey, or at a later date if necessary. 

Will I be charged for maintenance work needed that turned out to be my fault?
If a repair is needed to correct a problem of normal wear and tear, the property owner will pay for it. If the situation was caused by you or your guests, you will be responsible to pay for the repair. It is therefore to your advantage to check the following items before requesting maintenance.


What level of cleanliness am I expected to keep at my unit?
Walls & ceilings
Please keep the walls of the home clean and unmarred. Do not paint or wallpaper the walls without prior written approval of Aapex Property Management. If you or your guests smoke inside the house, you will be responsible for all smoke residue and damage.
Vinyl floor coverings/hardwood floors
With normal household use, vinyl and hardwood floors may be washed with a solution of warm water and soap. Do not use gas, benzine, naphtha, turpentine or waxes containing these solvents. Rubber heel marks can easily be removed with the proper product. You will be responsible for damage done by using improper cleaning materials. You are also responsible for damage to flooring such as broken tiles or torn floor covering. 
Routine carpet care requires a thorough vacuuming at least once a week. Heavy traffic areas require more frequent vacuuming to eliminate the course particles that can act as an abrasive on the fiber. Before you moved in, the carpets were professionally cleaned, and they must be professionally cleaned upon vacating. We normally have the carpets professionally cleaned after you move out, and the cost is deducted from your security deposit refund. If you prefer to have them cleaned yourself, you must submit a receipt from a professional carpet cleaner (not a do-it-yourself machine rental) at the time of move-out, or we will have to have them re-cleaned at your expense.
Clean stove, drip pans, under drip pans, oven, oven racks, hood and filter regularly to avoid build-up of grease, dirt, or food. Be careful when cleaning the oven that oven cleaner does not drip onto the cabinets or the floor. Do not use oven cleaner on self-cleaning or continuous cleaning ovens. You will be charged for damage to an appliance caused by improper use or cleaning, or by lack of maintenance.
Use at least once a week. Seals may dry and the motor may be damaged by long periods of disuse. Check the bottom of the dishwasher after each use for items that may fall from the racks. Check the perimeter of the door for food items that may have fallen from the counter.
Washer/Dryer hookups
When you install your washer and dryer, it is a good time to check your hoses and washers to eliminate leaks. If you are going to be absent from the property for an extended period of time, turn off the hot and cold water supply. Check the wall and floor monthly for evidence of a hidden leak.
If there is a fireplace in your home, please do not burn pine or any other "sappy" wood. This causes a buildup of residue in the chimney and increases the possibility of fire. The fireplace is not a place to burn cardboard, holiday wrappings, pine needles, Christmas trees, etc. 

Moving Out

How do I give Aapex notice if I plan on moving out?
You are required to give 30 days notice to terminate your rental contract. This notice must be in writing. We begin counting the 30 days from the day we receive the notice in our office. The notice must include the date you plan to be completely moved out, and a forwarding address.

How will my security deposit be handled when I move out?
THE SECURITY DEPOSIT MAY NOT BE USED AS THE LAST MONTH'S RENT!!! If you fail to pay your last month's rent on time, we may start an eviction, even though you have given notice to move. 
A complete explanation of any deductions from your deposit will be sent with your refund check, along with instructions in the event you have a question about a deduction. We will send this to the forwarding address you provide to us, within 21 days of your move-out.

What do I need to do the day I move out?
Bring the keys to our office when you are done moving out. This is very important. You will continue to be charged rent for each day that we don't have the keys back, even if you are no longer living there. Be sure to have utilities turned off, and give a forwarding address to the utility companies for your final bills.

Will Aapex do an inspection of the unit after I move out?
The move-out inspection will be conducted by our maintenance staff after you have vacated the premises and turned in the keys. You do not need to be there. Our inspector will make a room-by-room check, including appliances, windows, blinds, etc., as well as checking the exterior of the house and the yards. We will compare the current condition of the house with the move-in sheet you submitted when you first moved in. Any discrepancies will be noted, and the cost of bringing the house back to the condition it was in at your move-in will be deducted from your security deposit refund. You will not be charged for "normal wear and tear." You will, however, be charged for the cost of removing debris, rubbish, and discarded personal belongings which are left on the premises.

Aapex Property Management
21550 Foothill Blvd. Suite 201
Hayward, CA 94541

Hayward Property Management Owner Resources Tenant Resources Hayward Homes for Rent

Aapex Property Management
21550 Foothill Blvd. Suite 201
Hayward, CA 94541
DRE 01013954

Copyright © Aapex Property Management. All Rights Reserved.
Property Management Website powered by

Request More Info